Periods: One bloody good benefit of flexible working
People have periods.
Lots of them over the course of a lifetime.
And, in my experience, not many are of the rollerblading-in-white-hot-pants variety.
I’ve had plenty of the hugging-a-hot-water-bottle, let-this-day-end variety, though.
And maybe that’s why I cry a bit, every time I watch this awesome #wombstories ad.
When a date was mooted for our post-lock-down return to the office, I quickly checked my diary. Phew. It wasn’t going to be a difficult-to-manage day.
But it did make me reflect on coping with periods throughout my working life.
On adding a “P” to my digital calendar, to help track my cycle, not really grasping the concept of networked diaries.
On working in open-plan offices and feeling embarrassed about being spotted heading to the loo, clutching my bag. And so being surreptitious, transferring tampons into my pockets or the sleeves of my top. Or creative, smuggling san pro in an empty VHS box (back in the day, when videotapes were still a thing.)
On feeling vulnerable climbing trees during team-building outings (the logic of those types of activities still escapes me) with colleagues following closely behind. Literally.
Yep, there are times when having the option to #WFH is bloody brilliant.



Comments
Post a Comment